Questions about unit modifications

Questions about unit modifications

Top seven questions about unit modifications, prepared by the R-PATH Committee.

If you need to function better in your unit, the Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) Accessibility Program can help. 

To request a unit modification, contact your Tenant Services Coordinator or call the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500

Here are answers to the top seven questions about getting a unit modification, prepared by the Responsible Personal Accessibility in Toronto Housing (R-PATH) Committee.


What is a unit modification?

If you have a disability or medical needs that make it hard for you to function at home, or which put you at risk of falling, you can ask for a unit modification. It makes areas of your unit more accessible, such as your kitchen or washroom, helping you be more independent.


How do I ask for a unit modification?

The first step is to have a medical professional fill out the TCHC medical questionnaire. You can ask your Tenant Services Coordinator for the form, print it from the TCHC website at or call Client Care at 416-981-5500 to ask that the form be mailed to you.   

Once the form has been completed, give it to your Tenant Services Coordinator or Superintendent. They will forward your completed form to the Accessibility Program for approval.

Make sure you ask staff to sign and date your completed form when you give it to them. You can also ask them to provide a copy for your records.

TCHC's Accessibility Coordinators are there to help you throughout the process of a unit modification.


How long does a unit modification take?

Minor modifications, such as grab bars or a raised toilet, can be done fairly quickly by your Superintendent. For larger jobs, the full process from assessment through construction can take seven to nine months.

Will I have to pay for anything?

No. All costs to modify your unit are paid by Toronto Community Housing.


If I have to move during construction, will I lose my home?

If your apartment needs a lot of renovation, you will be relocated during construction, usually for three to four months. You will not lose your original unit. TCHC will hire movers to help you pack and move to the temporary unit and again to get you back to your newly renovated home.


Will my rent increase because of the modifications?

No, unit modifications will not increase your rent.


How is it decided on what is modified?

Three factors are used to assess your request: information from the medical questionnaire, the TCHC Accessibility Build Standards and the information you share with your Accessibility Coordinator. The Accessibility Coordinator will help you find the best solution possible for your situation. While you will approve all changes, the modifications will only be based on the above three factors. Both tenants and staff need to work together to make the improvements successful.

For more information about unit modification process or the Accessibility Program, contact your Tenant Services Coordinator, visit the TCHC website at or call the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500