Reminder: rent freeze ends for RGI tenants who had an income increase

In 2020, the Government of Ontario passed legislation to freeze rents at 2020 levels. This meant that rents would not increase in 2021 for most rented units covered under the Residential Tenancies Act. 

Effective December 31, 2021, the provincial rent freeze will end. Based on changes in income, some tenants may have had a rent increase that was deferred to 2022. This increase will take effect in the payment due on Saturday, January 1, 2022. 

Applicable Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) tenants will have been told in their Notice of Decision (received in 2021 before a tenancy anniversary date) about a new rent increase but it would not take effect until January 1, 2022. 

Here are answers to some of the questions tenants may have: 

I don't remember getting a notice about my rent increasing. 

As part of your yearly rent review, all RGI households would have received a Notice of Decision. This notice is sent to you by your Tenant Services Coordinator when they have finished calculating your rent after receiving your completed Annual Rent Review package. 

Households that had an increase in income would have also received an N2 notice with their Notice of Decision, which stated the rent increase amount. The N2 notice would also have included mention that the rent increase would be deferred until the end of the year, but that they would have to start paying the new amount as of January 1, 2022. 

If your household didn't have an increase in income, you didn't receive a rent increase. If your household saw a decrease in income or if your income did not change, your household would have received a Notice of Decision letting you know your rent stays the same or is decreased. 

I am on pre-authorized payments and have a rent increase. How does this affect me? 

If you have set up a Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP), your new rent amount will be pulled automatically from your account in January. 

What if I go into arrears due to this increase? 

TCHC staff will work with any household in arrears to come up with a repayment plan. If you are concerned about your tenancy, contact your Tenant Services Coordinator. 

Who do I talk to if I have questions? 

If you have questions about your new rental amount or the ending of the freeze, contact your Tenant Services Coordinator. If you aren't sure who your Tenant Services Coordinator is, contact the Client Care Centre at or 416-981-5500 and they will forward you.