Building Investment, Finance and Audit Committee (BIFAC) Meeting - August 13 , 2019
August 13, 2019
Main Floor Boardroom
931 Yonge Street , Toronto, Ontario
This meeting is archived. See agenda and minutes below.
10:35 - Chair’s Remarks
Pre-read: Verbal Report
9:25 - Consent agenda
a. Approval of Public Meeting Agenda
Action: BIFAC Approval
b. Chair’s Poll re: Conflict of Interest
Pre-read: Agenda and Conflict of Interest Policy
c. Confirmation of the Public Meeting Minutes of June 5, 2019
Action: BIFAC Approval
d. Business Arising from the Public Meeting Minutes and Action Items Update
Pre-read: Action Item List
e. Q2 2019 – PAC Awards and Revenue Contracts
Presenter: Interim General Counsel & Corporate Secretary
10:45 - Emergency Management: Tenant Program
Presenter: Senior Director, Fire Life Safety & Risk Management
11:00 - Firgrove-Grassways Revitalization: Business Plan
Action: BIFAC and Board Approval
Presenter: Chief Development Officer
The Building Investment, Finance and Audit Committee (“BIFAC”) of Toronto Community Housing Corporation (“TCHC”) held a public meeting on August 13, 2019, in the Main Floor Conference Room, 931 Yonge Street, Toronto, and via teleconference, commencing at 10:39 a.m.
BIFAC Directors Present:
Adele Imrie, Chair
Amanda Coombs (by teleconference)
BIFAC Director Absent:
Councillor Ana Bailão
Kevin Marshman, President and Chief Executive Officer
Darragh Meagher, Interim General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Rose-Ann Lee, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer
Sheila Penny, Vice President, Facilities Management
Vincent Tong, Chief Development Officer
Graham Leah, Vice President, Asset Management
John Angkaw, Senior Director, Fire Life Safety & Risk Management
Kevin Maloney, Manager, Risk Operations & Emergency Management
Hugh Lawson, IHMS Business Lead
Lindsay Viets, Manager, Strategic Planning
Ceilidh Wilson, Assistant Corporate Secretary (Acting)
A quorum being present, the Chair called the meeting to order and Ms. Ceilidh Wilson served as recording secretary.
ITEM 1 CHAIR’S REMARKS
The Chair welcomed everyone to the BIFAC meeting and noted that this was her first meeting as Chair of this Committee.
ITEM 2A APPROVAL OF PUBLIC MEETING AGENDA
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Macrae, seconded by Mr. Smith and carried, BIFAC approved the public meeting agenda.
ITEM 2B DECLARATION OF CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The Chair requested members of BIFAC to indicate any agenda item in which they had a conflict of interest, together with the nature of the conflict. None was declared.
ITEM 2C CONFIRMATION OF THE JUNE 5, 2019 PUBLIC MEETING MINUTES
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Macrae, seconded by Mr. Smith and carried, BIFAC approved the above-captioned minutes without amendments.
ITEM 2D BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE PUBLIC MEETING MINUTES AND ACTION ITEM LIST
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Macrae, seconded by Mr. Smith and carried, BIFAC received the above-captioned report for information.
ITEM 2E Q2 2019 – PAC AWARDS AND REVENUE CONTRACTS BIFAC:2019-44
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Macrae, seconded by Mr. Smith and carried, BIFAC received the report for information.
ITEM 3 EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: TENANT PROGRAM BIFAC:2019-45
The above-captioned report was circulated to BIFAC members prior to the meeting. The Senior Director, Fire Life Safety & Risk Management was available to answer questions from BIFAC members.
Highlights of discussion:
- Management confirmed that TCHC’s existing IT systems can handle implementation of this program.
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Smith, seconded by Mr. Macrae and carried, BIFAC resolved to receive the above-captioned report for information.
ITEM 4 FIRGROVE-GRASSWAYS REVITALIZATION: BUSINESS PLAN BIFAC:2019-53
Shannan Holness deputed on the item. Copies of the written deputation from Ms. Holness were distributed to members of BIFAC after the meeting via email.
The above-captioned report was circulated to BIFAC members prior to the meeting. The Chief Development Officer was available to answer questions from BIFAC members.
Highlights of discussion:
- It was noted that staff will take tenant feedback during the next phase of relocation to identify how tenants would like to see the relocation and return process to take place.
- Management explained the planning process, including obtaining the required City Committee approvals in Q3 2019, if approved proceeding with demolition by year-end 2019, and then spending approximately 1.5 years obtaining approvals through the City’s planning process.
- It was noted that there is a fair bit of non-TCHC property surrounding Firgrove-Grassways. Management anticipate this will be the subject of debate and discussion at the City re: the vision for the broader Jane-Finch area, which could have an impact on TCHC’s work.
- It was noted that TCHC will move forward without a development partner, but are hopeful that a partner could become interested in the site in future based on TCHC’s investment in the neighbourhood.
Motion carried ON MOTION DULY MADE by Mr. Macrae, seconded by Mr. Smith and carried, BIFAC approved the above-captioned report as amended and recommended the following for approval by the Board of Directors:
1. Approve and delegate the Chief Development Officer (“CDO”) (or designate) spending authority of $5.7 million in predevelopment expenses for the purposes of planning approvals, engagement and relocation;
2. Approve and delegate the Vice-President, Facilities Management (”VP-FM”) (or designate) spending authority of $7.2 million for demolition;
3. Subject to Board of Directors approval, authorize the CDO to submit the Firgrove Business And Master Plan to the Housing Secretariat and Strategic Management Committee at the City of Toronto to begin the revitalization process and to request funding to implement the revitalization;
4. Authorize the CDO (or designate) to collect and hold vacant units in the TCHC portfolio and to cease rental of units in 4 and 17 Cane Grassway, and 5, 10 and 40 Turf Grassway in advance of relocation and construction;
5. Authorize the CDO (or designate) to relocate households in 4 and 17 Cane Grassway, and 5, 10 and 40 Turf Grassway, and to proceed with demolition of 234 rental units identified in Attachment 1, subject to all necessary consents required by the Housing Services Act, 2011 and the City of Toronto as sole shareholder; and
6. Authorize the CDO (or designate) to take the necessary action, incur capital commitments, and execute any and all documents as may be necessary to give effect to the above recommendations.
Public BIFAC meeting was adjourned at 11:02 a.m.
Secretary Chair, Building Investment, Finance and Audit Committee