Governance, Communications and Human Resources Committee (GCHRC) Meeting - June 25, 2015
June 25, 2015
Ground Floor Boardroom
931 Yonge Street , Toronto, Ontario
Archived meeting. See Agenda and Minutes below.
Consent Public Agenda
The Consent Agenda items listed on the Consent Public Agenda will require a resolution of the Committee but are not scheduled for a full discussion at the Committee meeting. The Committee Chair will ask for approval of the following Consent Agenda items. Committee members must indicate if they wish to request to discuss the Item, question the Item or register a vote against the Item. If an Item is removed from the Consent Agenda, it will be discussed at the end of the meeting.
1. Approval of Agenda
Action: Resolution to approve the agenda
2. Confirmation of the GCHRCC Public Meeting Minutes of June 1, 2015
Action: Resolution to confirm the public minutes
3. Business Arising from the Minutes and Committee Action Items Update
Action: Resolution to receive for information
Pre-read: Action Item List
Public Meeting Agenda Items (8:30 a.m. – 8:55 a.m.)
Report from the GCHRCC Chair
4. Chair’s Report and Remarks
Pre-read: Verbal Report
Presenter: Chair, GCHRCC
Corporate Governance Report:
5. Accessibility Policy
Action: Committee and Board Approval
Presenter: VP, Asset Management
The Governance, Communications, Human Resources and Compensation Committee (GCHRCC or Committee) of Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) held a public meeting on June 25, 2015, in the Main Floor Conference Room, 931 Yonge Street, Toronto, ON M4W 2H2, and via teleconference commencing at 8:32 a.m.
Committee Directors in Attendance:
Christian Buhagiar, Chair (via teleconference)
Brian Kwan, Vice Chair (via teleconference)
Councillor Joe Cressy (via teleconference)
Ex Officio Director in Attendance:
Norman (Bud) Purves
Cathy Barker, Vice President, Human Resources
Ismail Ibrahim, Director, Compliance & Legal Counsel
Graham Leah, Vice President, Asset Management
Greg Spearn, Interim President and Chief Executive Officer/ Chief Development Officer
Pamela Spencer, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
A quorum being present, the Chair called the meeting to order and Ms. Mirela Bolentiru served as recording secretary.
Approval of the Consent Public Agenda Items 1-3
The Consent Public Agenda is comprised of the following public Items:
- Approval of Agenda.
- Confirmation of the GCHRCC Public Meeting Minutes of June 1, 2015.
- Business Arising from the Minutes and Committee Action Items Update.
ON MOTION DULY MADE by Councillor Cressy, seconded by Mr. Buhagiar and carried, the GCHRCC unanimously approved the Public Agenda as presented and Consent Agenda Items 1 to 3. The Chair advised that he had no remarks for Item 4.
Declaration of Conflict of Interest
The Chair requested members of the GCHRCC to indicate any agenda item in which they had a conflict of interest, together with the nature of the interest. None were declared.
Item 2 - Confirmation of Public Meeting Minutes of June 1, 2015
The GCRHCC had before it the above-captioned minutes.
ON MOTION DULY MADE by Councillor Cressy, seconded by Mr. Buhagiar and carried, the GCHRCC unanimously confirmed the minutes of June 1, 2015.
Item 3 - Business Arising from the Minutes and Committee Action Items Update (Former Governance, Risk and Human Resources Committee)
ON MOTION DULY MADE by Councillor Cressy, seconded by Mr. Buhagiar and carried, the GCHRCC unanimously received the report for information.
Item 4 - Chair's Report and Remarks (Verbal)
There were no report and remarks presented.
Item 5 - Accessibility Policy, GCHRCC:2015-38
The GCHRCC had before it the above-captioned report (GCHRCC:2015-38) from the Interim President and Chief Executive Officer.
The GCHRCC discussed the report and the Accessibility Policy (Policy) with Management. Management responded to questions raised by GCHRCC, and the following discussion took place:
- The GCHRCC noted that:
- Attachment 3 to the report did not include feedback from the approximately 40 residents who attended six resident consultations held across the city in the fall of 2014.
- Attachment 4 to the report, including feedback on the Policy from several community agencies was not provided with the report.
- Management explained that the accessibility training deliverables and the Work Plan have been posted on the external website for public reference. Public Affairs is the owner of the Policy. An in-depth review of the Policy will be conducted on an annual basis, including input from the annual unit condition review and Capital Plan.
- The GCHRCC recommended that more detailed information be included in the reporting part of the Policy, emphasizing the significance of accessibility for TCHC as an organization, as well as the costs associated with accessibility.
ON MOTION DULY MADE by Councillor Cressy, seconded by Mr. Kwan and carried, the GCHRCC unanimously reviewed the report and recommended that Management amend the report to include the additional information discussed at this meeting and forward the revised report to the Board of Directors for approval.
Public Meeting Proceedings
ON MOTION DULY MADE by Councillor Cressy, seconded by Mr. Kwan and carried, the GCHRCC resolved to terminate the public meeting at 8:47 a.m.