What is it?
Market Rent is residential rent that is not classified as Subsidized Rent or Affordable Rent under any affordable housing program. Market rents are typically set according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation's City of Toronto average rate and go up every year, reflecting the Government of Ontario's Rent Increase Guideline
How do I qualify?
To qualify for a Market Rent unit with Toronto Community Housing (TCHC), your household must meet all of the following criteria:
- At least one member of your household must be 16 years of age or older, able to live on their own without parental supervision, and have legal status in Canada. This includes individuals in Canada under a student visa, visitor visa or work permit.
- No Termination Order has become enforceable against any member of your household from a former tenancy with TCHC.
- Proof of payment has been provided for any member of your household owing money to any public housing provider in Ontario (this includes TCHC) or any private housing provider in Ontario.
Applicants who do not qualify on their own for a Market Rent unit may qualify by providing a guarantor. Read more about instructions for guarantors (PDF).
How do I apply?
To apply for a vacant unit, you need to get a Market Application Form from the address listed in the advertisement.
In addition to the application form, you will need to provide the following:
- Assessment of ability to pay rent (income verification)
Proof of your current income and three-to-five-year income history for each household member listed on the application form.
- Rental history
Your detailed rental history for a minimum of three-to-five years, including contact information for previous landlords. TCHC may contact them to verify your information.
- Credit references
TCHC may obtain a credit check from Equifax. If we cannot get any credit history information, we may request more information from you.
- Personal identification
You must provide copies of two pieces of identification for each household member 16 years of age and older:
- Documentation that provides proof of Status in Canada
- Photo identification (e.g. driver's licence)
For a more detailed description of the above requirements, please see our application instructions (PDF)
You may return your completed application, including all required documentation, by mail, by fax or in person to the Operating Unit Office location identified in the Vacancy Listing. To find current Market Rent vacancies, please use our search tool below.Note: There is no waitlist for Market Rent units; vacancies are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis. Some vacancies may be rented in person at our Operating Unit Offices. If no vacancies are listed below, you are welcome to visit the applicable office to see if any units are available for rent.
If you have any questions about Market Rent or the application process, call our Market Rent line at
416-981-RENT (7368) or send an email to MarketRent@torontohousing.ca
. You can also contact a Tenant Services Coordinator or Property Management staff at the applicable TCHC Operating Unit office