Vote to select a logo for The Centre for Advancing the Interests of Black People
Toronto Community Housing will implement the next phase of its Confronting Anti-Black Racism (CABR) Strategy with the official opening of The Centre for Advancing the Interests of Black People ("The Centre") on December 2, 2021.
The Centre will become the central point of engaging in conversations about race and anti-Black racism, aiming to implement strategies and solutions to confront anti-Black racism and all forms of discrimination and prejudice. The Centre strives to be a place to create an open dialogue between tenants and staff.
With the anticipated launch of The Centre, Toronto Community Housing is inviting tenants to vote to select a logo for The Centre.
The deadline to vote is Thursday, November 18, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. Voting is open to all Toronto Community Housing tenants 16 years of age and over.
The inspiration behind the logos
The Centre partnered with UNSGND, a Black, female-powered design agency that aims to create opportunities for women of colour who want to work in design and tech.
The ideas and feedback that staff and tenants provided during the CABR consultations in 2020 played a significant role in UNSGND's inspiration for the logos. They were intentional in incorporating work from Black font foundries and photographers into the key aspects of the designs.
Here is more information about each logo.
Option one – Rebuild logo
The Rebuild logo combines the image of a house and the letter "C," highlighting the significance of having the CABR strategy and the Centre embedded into the foundation of the workplace and communities.
Option two – Reconstruct logo
The Reconstruct logo represents the reconstruction of a logo that did not represent the interests of Black tenants and staff. This iteration of the Centre logo represents a more inclusive outlook and the ability to learn from the past to create a better future.
How to vote:
- View the logo options in this news item.
- Go to the poll on Survey Monkey to cast your vote.
- You can only vote for one option.
- If you want to vote at a Tenant Service Hub or in-person event, please inform the TCHC staff that you wish to vote for The Centre's new logo. The TCHC employee will have the link and go through the questions with you on their device (i.e., laptop, mobile device, tablet).
- If you call the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500, inform the agent that you would like to vote for The Centre's logo. The agent will go through the poll questions with you and submit the poll on your behalf.
The logo will be revealed at the launch event on December 2.
If you have any questions, you can send an email to TheCentre@torontohousing.ca. Remember, your voice counts!