Toronto Community Housing is going beyond bricks and mortar to build clean, safe homes for our residents while creating vibrant communities where people can thrive.
By working together with the City of Toronto, our residents, our neighbours, and our private development partners, we are transforming aging housing infrastructure to build better homes, better neighbourhoods, and a better Toronto for all.
Through a first-of-its-kind partnership with an independent housing co-operative , Toronto Community Housing is revitalizing Alexandra Park with new housing and new amenities that will connect this vibrant downtown community with the thriving neighbourhoods around it.
Vibrant downtown community bordered by Spadina Avenue (east), Queen Street West (south), Dundas Street West (north), and Bathurst Street (west)
Alexandra Park: by the numbers
- Total Size:18 acres
- Replaced RGI Rental Units: 410
- Refurbished RGI Rental Units: 396
- Market Units: 1540
- Demolition Start Date: February 2014
- Construction Start Date: December 2014
- Phase 1a (Market Condominium SQ & 40 RGI rental townhomes): Complete
- Phase 1b (Market Condominium SQ2 & 21 RGI rental townhomes): Under construction
- Phase 2: Pre-development work is ongoing
- Anticipated Project Length: 4-5 years for Phase 1, 10-12 years for Phase 2, 12-15 years for full revitalization
- Amenities: New public park and basketball courts, larger community centre, new connector streets, and improved east-west and north-south pedestrian access
- Retail Space: Up to 5,700 m2 of new retail space will be added to the community, including approximately 370 m2 of incubator space for local social enterprise and business development along the south side of Dundas St.
- Employment: Approximately 157 jobs created to date for Phase 1
Click on the image above to view the full site plan
Tridel – Phase 1 and 2Architect:
Levitt Goodman (rental townhomes); Teeple (market condominiums)
2009 Community group and Councillor approach TCHC to consider Alexandra Park as a potential Revitalization site
November 2009Community approves Revitalization Principles
May 2010TCHC Board approves application to proceed with planning approvals and with a developer selection process to seek a developer partner for Phase 1
February 2012TCHC Board approves selection of Tridel as development partner and business deal with Tridel
July 2012City Council approves Alexandra Park Official Plan Amendment
August 2013Toronto Community Housing Board approves Phase I Anchor Business Plan for the Alexandra Park Revitalization
October 2013City Council approves Alexandra Park Rezoning By-law
November 2013Sales of market units launched for Alexandra Park
November 2013All residents impacted by Phase 1a redevelopment moved to relocation units
February 2014Phase 1 demolition begins
December 2014Phase 1a construction begins
Phase 1a construction completed and Phase 1b demolition and construction begins
Phase 1a rental townhouse occupancy completed
Phase 1b rental townhouse construction completed (estimated)
Phase 2 Rezoning application submission
SQ2 market condo building construction completed (estimated)
Phase 2 demolition and construction begins (estimated)
- SQ, the first market condominium in Alexandra Park, was recognized with an Award of Merit at the 2017 ARIDO (Association of Registered Interior Designers of Ontario) Awards gala held on October 5.
- The demolition of Phase 1A is now complete— watch the time lapse video of the changes.
- A webcam has been set up to show progress in Phase One of the Revitalization. Follow this link to see live images from Alexandra Park .
Sales for SQ, the first market condominium building, launched in November 2013. If you are interested in finding out more about purchasing a unit in this development, please contact Tridel