Toronto Community Housing is going beyond bricks and mortar to build clean, safe homes for our residents while creating vibrant communities where people can thrive.
By working together with the City of Toronto, our residents, our neighbours, and our private development partners, we are transforming aging housing infrastructure to build better homes, better neighbourhoods, and a better Toronto for all.
Through a first-of-its-kind partnership with an independent housing co-operative, Toronto Community Housing is revitalizing Alexandra Park with new housing and new amenities that will connect this vibrant downtown community with the thriving neighbourhoods around it.
Vibrant downtown community bordered by Spadina Avenue (east), Queen Street West (south), Dundas Street West (north), and Bathurst Street (west)
Alexandra Park: by the numbers:
- Replaced RGI Rental Units: 333
- Refurbished RGI Rental Units: 473
- Market Units: 1540
- Demolition Start Date: February 2014
- Construction Start Date: December 2014
- Anticipated Project Length: 4-5 years for Phase 1, 12-15 years for full revitalization
- Total Size:18 acres
- Amenities: New public park and basketball courts, larger community centre, new connector streets, and improved east-west and north-south pedestrian access
- Retail Space: Up to 5,700 m2 of new retail space will be added to the community, including approximately 370 m2 of incubator space for local social enterprise and business development along the south side of Dundas St.
- Employment: Approximately 125 jobs created to date (November 2014)
Click on the image above to view the full site plan
Tridel – Phase 1Architect:
Levitt Goodman (rental townhomes); Teeple (market condominiums)
2009 Community group and Councillor approach TCHC to consider Alexandra Park as a potential Revitalization site
Community approves Revitalization Principles
May 2010TCHC Board approves application to proceed with planning approvals and with a developer selection process to seek a developer partner for Phase 1
February 2012TCHC Board approves selection of Tridel as development partner and business deal with Tridel
July 2012City Council approves Alexandra Park Official Plan Amendment
August 2013Toronto Community Housing Board approves Phase I Anchor Business Plan for the Alexandra Park Revitalization
City Council approves Alexandra Park Rezoning By-law
November 2013Sales of market units launched for Alexandra Park
November 2013All residents impacted by Phase 1a redevelopment moved to relocation units
February 2014Phase 1 demolition begins
December 2014Phase 1 construction begins
Late Fall 2016Phase 1a construction complete
2018/2019Phase 1b construction completed (estimated)
2019Phase 2 construction begins (estimated)
- The demolition of Phase 1A is now complete— watch the
time lapse video of the changes.
- After consultations with residents, the architects have prepared designs of the new townhomes to be constructed in Alexandra Park.
- A webcam has been set up to show progress in Phase One of the Revitalization. Follow this link to see live
images from Alexandra Park.
Sales for SQ, the first market condominium building, launched in November 2013. If you are interested in finding out more about purchasing a unit in this development, please contact Tridel