Freedom of Information FAQs

Freedom of Information FAQs

1. How do I access information at Toronto Community Housing?

To access information, make a Freedom of In​formation request.​

2. What is a Freedom of Information (FOI) request?

A Freedom of Information request allows anyone to request access to:

  • files, security reports or other forms of personal information
  • general or corporate information about Toronto Community Housing

Make an FO​I request.

​​3. What is personal information?

Personal information means recorded information about an identifiable individual, including, but not limited to:

  • national or ethnic origin, race, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or family status of the individual
  • identifying numbers or symbols, such as social insurance number or client number
  • home address, home telephone number, fingerprints or blood type
  • information relating to the education, financial situation, medical, psychiatric, psychological criminal history or employment history of an individual 
4. How much does it cost to make a Freedom of Information request?

We charge a mandatory, non-refundable $5 application fee for all requests. You may also have to pay additional fees related to your request.​

5. How long will it take to process my request?

We will respond to your request within 30 days of receiving your MFIPPA Request Form, all supporting documents and the $5 application fee. We may extend this time limit if your request is for a large number of records or if it requires an extensive search or consultation with a third party. We will notify you in writing if we extend the time limit.

We cannot speed up your request. You may note on your request form that the documents are needed urgently, but we cannot guarantee the request will be processed before the 30-day time frame.

6. How can I check the status of my request?

Contact our Information Specialist at 416-981-4231. If you get a voicemail, please leave a message with your name, phone number and FOI file number, if available. You can also email our office at

7. What can I do if I disagree with the access decision?

You can file an appeal by writing to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario. To appeal an access decision, including the decision to charge a fee,  you must write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario and state that you want to appeal Toronto Community Housing's decision. You must appeal within 30 days of receiving our decision letter. You will need to pay a fee to the Commissioner's office.

To learn more about filing an appeal, contact the Privacy Commissioner's Office at:

Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
2 Bloor St. East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8

Telephone: 416-326-3333  Toll-free: 1-800-387-0073
Visit the Privacy Commisioner's website