Access to information

Access to information

​​​Toronto Community Housing collects personal and confidential information about its tenants in the course of its business.

We are subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA or the Act). The Act provides the public with a right of access to information held by us, subject to limited exemptions, and protects the privacy of individuals whose personal information we hold.​

Request access to information

You can access records in several ways:  

You can also find a substantial amount of general information about Toronto Community Housing on its website including, for example:

Routine Disclosure Request

Tenant information

If you are a current tenant, you can make a routine disclosure request and obtain the following information that you previously submitted to us, or that we previously provided to you:

  • Lease
  • Annual Review documents (including Income and Assets documentation, rent calculations and other supporting documents)
  • Tenancy Management letters
  • Payment and arrears information
  • Court Order
  • Notice of Termination
  • Government-issued identification photo ID documentation, such as documentation about the current tenant's Canadian Status and Identification (Photo, SIN)

Your request can be made verbally or in writing to the tenant services coordinator or the property administrator of your building.  No fee is required. You must clearly describe the records sought, including the date of the records where possible.  Since you are requesting your own personal information, we will require you to provide a copy of your government issued photo ID to verify your identity.

Examples of valid photo ID:

  • Driver's licence
  • Ontario photo card
  • Citizenship card
  • First photo page of your passport

Valid photo ID exceptions:

  • Valid photo IDs cannot be expired.
  • We cannot accept health cards as valid photo ID because we are not a provincially funded health care service provider.

If the records cannot be located following a reasonable search based on the description provided by you, our property management staff may direct you to submit an FOI request under MFIPPA so that we can undertake a more thorough search. 

Freedom of Information Request

Anyone can make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to access:

  • general records
  • personal information
  • correct personal information

To make an FOI request, please follow these steps.

Research and data requests

If the requested information is for research purposes, and does not include personal information (as defined under MFIPPA), a FOI request may not be necessary – an External Research and Data Request can be submitted instead.

To make an External Research and Data Request, please see the form and guidelines here.

Collection and use of personal information

Toronto Community Housing has developed a Notice of Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information which outlines how tenants' personal information will be collected, used and disclosed by us.

The notice specifies the type of personal information that is collected, how we obtain the information, and provides an overview of what the personal information is used for.

Read more about the collection and use of personal information.

Law enforcement requests

Under MFIPPA, Toronto Community Housing can disclose personal information to a law enforcement agency in Canada to aid an investigation undertaken with a view to law enforcement proceedings or from which a law enforcement proceeding is likely to result.

If you are a law enforcement agency, you must complete the Law Enforcement Request Form (PDF) and mail it to:
Attention: Information Specialist
Toronto Community Housing
931 Yonge Street, 6th floor
Toronto, ON M4W 2H2

Directory of Records

Under MFIPPA Toronto Community Housing is required to make available for inspection and copying by the public a list of general classes or types of records in its custody or control.

The Directory of Records (PDF)  is a listing of the general classes or types of records maintained by Toronto Community Housing. 

More information​​

See frequently asked questions or contact our Information Specialist:

  • Call TCHC's Client Care Centre and leave your name and telephone number. Someone from the FOI office will return your call.
  • Email