Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) is making changes to improve our priority transfer process to be more responsive to tenants' needs.
Guided by the Toronto Ombudsman's recommendations, and after receiving valuable feedback through consultations with tenants, employees, stakeholders and outside agencies, we have put in place a new Crisis priority category, effective July 1, 2018.
Transfer categories and how to apply
- Special Priority Program for Survivors of Domestic Abuse or Human Trafficking: apply with the City of Toronto via separate form and application.
- Crisis Priority: apply through your local Operating Unit, through the Client Care Centre (by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through phone at 416-981-5500), or by mailing your application to 931 Yonge St., Toronto ON, M4W 2H2, to the attention of the Intake Specialist.
- Overhoused: apply through your local Operating Unit.
- Underhoused: apply through your local Operating Unit.
Accessibility and Accommodation
This applies if the tenant or authorized household member is requesting accommodation based on an Ontario Human Rights Code identified ground. All requests must be submitted through your Operating Unit office.
The application must demonstrate the following:
- The request must be made on the basis of an Ontario Human Rights Code identified ground.
- For a disability-related request, the application must be supported by medical documentation showing that the duty to accommodate can only be met by a transfer to another unit.
- For any Ontario Human Rights Code identified ground that does not relate to disability, the application must be supported by relevant documentation showing that the duty to accommodate can only be met by a transfer to another unit.
Note: for accessibility and accommodation requests, TCHC will always attempt to reasonably accommodate the need in the current unit before considering a transfer.
Complete the Transfer Application Form (PDF) if you are requesting a transfer for any of the reasons above other than Special Priority Program (SPP). For SPP, you will need to submit an application through the Rent-Geared-to-Income Subsidy program. For an Accessibility/Accommodation transfer, you also need to fill out the Medical Questionnaire (PDF).
Changes to Areas of Preference
Use the chart below to view locations that offer the unit size you are eligible for. These transfer maps are also available at your Operating Unit office. You can also
contact your Operating Unit
or Property Management office or the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500 to have the maps mailed to you.
If you want to add or delete locations from your current transfer
application for SPP, Overhoused and Underhoused, either print off a map or
request a copy from your Operating Unit office for the bedroom size you are
eligible for. Use the map to check off the developments you would like to
transfer to and submit the map to your Operating Unit office.
Requests for an Additional Bedroom Forms
Households can apply for an additional bedroom if they have custody or access rights for a child who is not a member of the household, if they require a full-time overnight caregiver, or if an additional bedroom is needed due to a medical condition or to store medical equipment.
Custody or Access Rights for a Child Form
If a member of the household is either a parent or legal guardian of a child who is not a member of the household and the additional bedroom is needed to provide overnight accommodation for a minimum of 78 nights per year for that child, then they need to complete the Custody or Access Rights for a Child Form (PDF). The household is also required to provide a court order or domestic contract that is valid under the Family Law Act that states that the bedroom is needed to provide accommodation for that child for a minimum of 78 nights per year.
Medical Need for an Additional Bedroom Form
If a member of the household requires a full-time overnight caregiver, then the household needs to have a licensed healthcare professional fill out the
Medical Questionnaire (PDF)
as well as one of the following:
Home Care Agency's Verification Form
Home Care Agency's Verification Form (PDF) if someone in the household requires a full-time overnight caregiver and the caregiver is provided through a home care agency.
Caregiver Verification Form
Caregiver Verification Form (PDF) if someone in the household requires a full-time overnight caregiver and the caregiver is not affiliated with a home care agency. The caregiver can be assisting the household if: they are through Citizenship and Immigration Canada; they live with the household but have a permanent address elsewhere; or they live with the household and do not have a permanent address elsewhere and their income is included in the household income for RGI purposes. Supporting documentation may also be required depending on their caregiver status.