We know how important your pet is to you. We have a pet-friendly environment. Please note that City bylaws allow a maximum of three dogs per household. You can have no more than six of any combination of dogs, cats, ferrets and rabbits at any time in your home.
You are responsible for your pet's behaviour. You are also responsible for the behaviour of the pet of a visitor or guest. This includes excessive noise made by the pet, as well as cleaning up after the pet.
Pets in your unit
If you, or your visitor or guest, have a pet, you need to follow these guidelines:
- Keep your pet on a leash in common areas, for example: when you leave your unit and when going outdoors.
- Be sure that your pet does not damage property or the belongings of others, is not a nuisance, or does not create unreasonable disturbances, as stated in your lease.
- Never leave your pet alone on your balcony.
- Safely secure pets if you know a contractor or staff member will be entering your unit to do maintenance or repairs when you are not home.
- Stoop, scoop and bag your pet's waste every time. Dispose of pet waste responsibly:
- Use outdoor garbage bins when walking your pet
- Never discard cat litter waste in the toilet
- Double bag all pet waste (cat litter, bird cage linings) securely for garbage chute disposal
To find out if you need a license for your pet and for other rules about pets, call the City of Toronto at
review the Pet Licensing section of the website
Complaints about neighbours' pets
If your neighbours' dog barks all the time or they never pick up after their pet, or you have other pet complaints, email
Complaints about neighbours' pets must be logged with this service before Toronto Community Housing staff can follow up with your neighbours about your concerns.