​​Do you have insurance for your belongings? You are responsible, under your lease, for getting insurance for your belongings. This type of insurance is usually called contents insurance or renters' insurance.

Toronto Community Housing's insurance will not pay to replace your belongings if something such as fire, flood, or other emergency damages your unit.

If your unit is damaged by flood, fire or any other incident, insurance can help you pay to replace your belongings. It may also help pay for legal costs if your actions cause damage, for example: if your actions cause a fire. It may also cover the cost of a hotel stay or a replacement unit if you have to leave your unit for a period of time because of the damage or the emergency.

If some or all of your income is from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program, these programs may cover the cost of contents insurance. You need to speak with your case worker for more information.​

You can get contents insurance from any insurance provider you choose. One option is Marsh Canada, which provides affordable insurance designed for tenants who live in social housing. For information about rates and coverage, visit the HSC Tenant Insurance Program website​ or call 1-866-940-5111.