This plan describes how Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) will keep employees, tenants, contractors and others safe at our workplaces during the COVID-19 pandemic
1. How we are ensuring that workers know how to keep themselves safe from exposure to COVID-19
- Our employees have received mandatory training on COVID-19 hazards and protective measures. They are kept up to date with regular communications from our Emergency Operations Committee.
2. How we are screening for COVID-19
- We require our staff to actively screen daily for COVID-19 symptoms.
- We are screening office visitors, contractors and tenants where unit entry by staff is required.
- We expect our contractors and partners to screen staff daily in compliance with provincial guidelines.
3. How we are controlling the risk of transmission in our workplace
Physical distancing and separation
- Our offices are open to tenants by appointment only. Call 416 981-5500 to make an appointment or to access services by phone.
- We have closed common areas to non-essential use.
- We have placed limits on office staffing to allow for distancing between staff and tenants.
- We have put transparent barriers and other measures in place to ensure safe interaction with tenants.
- We have posted information on maintaining proper physical distancing in common areas for tenants and we have incorporated it into safe work procedures for staff.
Supporting good hand and respiratory hygiene
- We have installed hand sanitizer dispensers in common areas and provide soap to enable sinks to be used as hand hygiene stations.
- Information on hand and respiratory hygiene is posted for staff and tenants.
- We are cleaning high-touch surfaces in our buildings at least twice daily in compliance with current City of Toronto and provincial guidelines.
Ventilation and air flow
- We are performing regular maintenance of HVAC systems and correcting any deficiencies identified to support good ventilation of indoor areas.
Personal protective equipment (PPE)
- We provide free face masks to tenants who need them so they can comply with the City of Toronto mask bylaw in all indoor common areas.
- We require employees and contractors to wear PPE when entering a tenant's home and whenever physical distancing cannot be maintained.
4. How we will respond if there is a potential case of COVID-19 or suspected exposure to COVID-19 at our workplace
- We work closely with Toronto Public Health to support tenants in self-isolation due to COVID-19.
- We encourage tenants to tell us they are self-isolating by contacting our Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We support contact-tracing efforts by Toronto Public Health.
- We have procedures for managing employee contacts and illness to protect the safety of tenants and workers.
5. How we are managing any new risks caused by the changes made to the way we operate our business
- Our Emergency Operations Committee continuously reviews changes to public health direction and provincial regulations to identify impacts to TCHC's operations and to provide for continuity of services to tenants.
- Our Business Recovery Team continues to monitor provincial direction to make sure any future steps by TCHC to reopen offices and resume in-person services are in line with the City's approach.
6. How we are making sure our plan is working
- We regularly engage with our tenants and partners, including Toronto Public Health, to identify opportunities to improve our safety plan and provide the right level of resources to deliver our plan.
- We communicate our standards and expectations for workplace safety to employees, tenants and partners.