About Tenants First
Tenants First is a City of Toronto-led project that sets out to make improvements to Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) and support it to become a more focused landlord. The overall focus of Tenants First is to implement a plan in which Toronto Community Housing can improve tenants' lives through better service delivery, and by providing buildings in good repair and opportunities for tenants to be connected to appropriate services and actively participate in their communities.
City Council first adopted the
Tenants First – A Way Forward for Toronto Community Housing and Social Housing Toronto report (PDF) on July 12, 2016. This report included proposed changes to transform Toronto Community Housing (TCHC).
To continue the work of the Tenants First Plan, the City of Toronto established the Tenants First Project Management Office in the Social Development, Finance and Administration (SDFA) Division. The Tenants First Project Management Office is leading the development and implementation of the Tenants First plan, including:
- A review TCHC's core business;
- Development of a permanent and sustainable funding model; and
- A revision of the shareholder direction to TCHC and operating agreement as required.
TCHC supports Tenants First, and we are working closely with the Tenants First Project Team at the City of Toronto.
For all City Council reports that have informed the Tenants First plan to date, please check out the Tenants First Council Reports section below.
For more information on Tenants First, please visit the City of Toronto's
Toronto Community Housing: Tenants First webpage.
Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation
For information and updates to the City of Toronto's Seniors Housing corporation, visit toronto.ca/toronto-seniors-housing-corporation to learn more.
Tenants First Council reports
Here are links to the reports related to Tenants First. Click on the link to find the copy of the report on the City of Toronto's website.
- May 5, 2021: Implementing Tenants First - Creating a Seniors Housing Corporation
- February 2, 2021: Toronto Seniors Housing Corporation Board of Directors
- October 27, 2019: Implementing Tenants First 2020 Action Updates
- July 16, 2019: Implementing Tenants First – A New Seniors Housing Corporation and Proposed Changes to Toronto Community Housing Corporation's Governance
- April 16, 2019: Accelerating the City's Tenants First Project
- January 30, 2019: Accelerating the City's Tenants First Project – by Mayor John Tory, seconded by Councillor Ana Bailao
- May 22, 2018: Implementing Tenants First – Creating a Seniors Housing Unit at Toronto Community Housing Corporation and Transitioning Towards a Seniors Housing and Services Entity at the City
- January 31, 2018: Implementing Tenants First – Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC) Scattered Portfolio Plan and an Interim Selection Process for Tenant Directors on the Toronto Community Housing Corporation Board
- July 4, 2017: Tenants First – Phase 1 Implementation Plan
- July 12, 2016: Tenants First – A Way Forward for Toronto Community Housing and Social Housing in Toronto
- January 28, 2016: Final Report of the Task Force on Toronto Community Housing Corporation