City Council unanimously adopted the Tenants First Phase 1 Implementation Plan in July 2017. The City of Toronto and Toronto Community Housing (TCHC) are working together to implement the plan's recommendations.
What does Tenants First mean for you?
Tenants First is about improving the lives of TCHC tenants through better service delivery, increased access to services and improved building conditions.
- Tenants will NOT be moved or lose their subsidy because of this plan.
- The Tenants First team will continue to seek input from TCHC tenants.
- This is only phase one. The full plan will take several years to implement.
What is the Tenants First Phase 1 plan?
This plan is part of a multi-phase strategy. Key elements of phase 1 include:
- creating a Seniors Housing and Services entity that will manage TCHC's 83 seniors-designated buildings
- supporting TCHC in its efforts to be a better landlord and refocus its mandate on families, youth, vulnerable tenants and seniors living in mixed buildings
- adequately funding both TCHC and the new Seniors entity
- inviting non-profits, co-ops or land trusts to submit plans for operating TCHC's scattered houses
- testing new ways of delivering services to tenants in Weston-Rexdale (Operating Unit C)
Learn more and get involved