For the past 13 years, the Participatory Budgeting (PB) process has given Toronto Community Housing residents the opportunity to decide how to spend capital funds to improve their communities. The total PB budget for 2015 is $8 million and $5 million for 2016.
A breakdown of the 2015 and 2016 PB budget is as follows:
2015 Budget ||
|$6,800,000||General capital items, including common spaces||$4,250,000||General capital items, including common spaces|
|$1,200,000||Safety projects||$750,000||Safety projects|
Key features of the Participatory Budgeting (PB)process:
- Residents will plan their own meetings and building tours to get familiar with the projects needed in their community.
- Residents will get information about the history of capital repairs and money spent in their buildings in the past, as well as a list of capital projects planned for their community.
- Final decisions will be made at the OU allocation meeting (or at the central safety allocation day). One delegate and one alternate per development will review all priorities and vote for the ones that get funded.
- Residents may choose 2 priority projects per building or community.
- Residents choose final PB projects at OU allocation meeting or central safety allocation day.
Program timeline (2015):
|May 19||PB 2015 Joint Monitoring Committee launch meeting|
|May - June||Community brainstorming sessions, including workshops and resident-led outreach|
July - August||Building meetings |
- Each community chose up to 2 items (for 2015 and 2016) to go forward to an allocation meeting.
- Each community was represented by one voting delegate and one alternate delegate at the allocation meeting.
|September - October||OU allocation meetings and a safety allocation meeting|
2015 budget allocation (for major building improvement projects) by Operating Unit:
Operating Unit (OU)||
|OU A: Seniors and Single Family Homes - East||626,650|
|OU B: Seniors and Single Family Homes - West||565,420|
|OU C: Weston Rexdale||558,220|
|OU D: York Black Creek||629,030|
|OU E: Etobicoke South High Park||657,369|
|OU F: Yorkdale Lawrence||280,742|
|OU G: Willowdale Don Valley||475,927|
|OU H: Scarborough||768,705|
|OU I: Scarborough Southwest||475,208|
|OU J: Grange Bathurst St Lawrence||491,676|
|OU K: Central Sherbourne||625,916|
|OU L: Don Valley Beaches||374,053|
|OU: M: Central Parliament||271,086|
2016 budget allocation (for major building improvement projects) by Operating Unit:
|Operating Unit (OU)||
|OU A: Seniors and Single Family Homes - East||393,801|
|OU B: Seniors and Single Family Homes - West||355,245|
|OU C: Weston Rexdale||351,075|
|OU D: York Black Creek||395,609|
|OU E: Etobicoke South High Park||413,432|
|OU F: Yorkdale Lawrence||176,564|
|OU G: Willowdale Don Valley||293,849|
|OU H: Scarborough||483,452|
|OU I: Scarborough Southwest||298,867|
|OU J: Grange Bathurst St Lawrence||309,224|
|OU K: Central Sherbourne||393,650|
|OU L: Don Valley Beaches||235,249|
|OU: M: Central Parliament||149,984|
Communication and engagement materials:
Learn more about PB:
If you have questions about the Participatory Budgeting process, send an email to
or leave a message at 416-981-4072.