The new website is designed to be accessible and responsive. It includes many new features and the capability to continue to add more new features.
What’s an accessible website?
For our new website, we are required to follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) according to the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Web accessibility is about removing barriers for people with disabilities to use our site. When a site is correctly designed and developed, all users have equal access to the information and functions on our website.
This means considering things like:
- Flowing information so that someone using a screen reader receives the information in the correct order
- Creating links that make it clear where the link leads to for someone using a screen reader
- Using colours with enough contrast so people with visual impairments can see them
- Making sure that when we have visual features, like the map showing where all our properties are that there is an alternative version that could be understood using a screen reader
What does responsive mean?
To make our site even more accessible, we have built it to be responsive. This means that our website was designed so that it looks a bit different depending on what device you are using to access it. If you are visiting our website using your cell phone, for example, it will resize to make it easier for you to use it.
New features available now and in the future
Our new website has a number of new features. For example:
- The website includes a robust resident section with up-to-date, helpful information. It has information about leases, transfers, utilities, community resources and more.
- New maps make it easier for prospective renters to see market rent vacancies, where revitalization communities are and where we have parking across the portfolio.
- New forms make it easier for residents to complete transfer request forms, for prospective renters to add themselves to the waiting list for affordable housing, and for partners to do business with us.
In the coming weeks we will continue to add new forms and features that make it easier for us to provide residents with good service. And the new website gives us the opportunity to continue to add more features as we upgrade our systems and other opportunities come up.
What’s nextAfter we have tested the new site to make sure everything is working well, we will promote it widely to residents and other stakeholders. Watch for more information.
How to tell us what you think
Let us know what you think about our new website and please let us know about any errors or out-of-date information. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org
to give us any feedback about the website.