Here is some information to help residents put safety first this winter season.
If you use candles:
- Keep matches and lighters out of children�s reach.�
- Always stand candles in stable, non-tip candle holders before you light them.
- Keep candles away from combustible decorations and displays.
- Never leave burning candles unattended or in reach of pets or small children.
- Put out candles by wetting the wicks before you leave a room or before going to sleep.
If you use space heaters:
- Space heaters and extension cords must have a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) label.
- Keep all heaters at least 1 metre (3 feet) away from anything combustible such as paper, drapes, loose clothes, furniture, bedding and wallpaper.
- Never place clothes on a heater to dry.
- Avoid leaving heaters on when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Keep children well away from heaters.
If you put up holiday decorations:
- Use decorations that are ?ame-resistant or non-combustible.
- Keep the tree away from candles, ?rereplaces, heating vents, radiators, television sets, or other sources of heat.
- Avoid smoking near the tree or decorations.�
- Turn light strings off before you go to bed and when you leave the house.
- Dispose of the tree when it begins to turn brown or dry out.
- Examine light strings for wear or damage each year before re-using them. Replace worn sets.�
- Unplug all decorative lighting before you go to bed or leave your home.�
- Use light strings, bulb re?ectors, electrically lit decorations and extension cords that have a CSA label. Check the packaging to see if they are safe to use indoors or outdoors.
If you have a balcony:
- Never use your balcony for storage. This is a ?re hazard. You will be asked to clean it up if you do.
In an emergency, always call 911.
For repairs or questions about your tenancy, call the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500.
For security issues or to report a parking violation, call the Community Safety Unit at 416-921-2323.
To see this information as a poster, click�here