Toronto Community Housing is going beyond bricks and mortar to build clean, safe homes for our residents while creating vibrant communities where people can thrive.
By working together with the City of Toronto, our residents, our neighbours, and our private development partners, we are transforming aging housing infrastructure to build better homes, better neighbourhoods, and a better Toronto for all.
Part of the former CN rail lands, this development is located in an area bordered by Front Street to the north, Lakeshore Boulevard to the south, Bathurst Street to the west and Blue Jays’ Way and the Rogers Centre to the east.
Railway Lands: by the numbers
- New RGI Rental Units: 133
- New Affordable Rental Units: 294
- Project Start Date: 2010
- Project Completion Date: 2013
- Total Size: 1.8 acres
- Amenities: Amenities included in the construction include a children’s splash pad, and rooftop garden planter boxes for residents
- Retail Space: New ground floor retail space was created, which includes a Tim Hortons, Jumblies Theatre and Art of Time
Click on the image above to view the building
Development partner: Context developments
May 2010 Construction begins on Railway Lands
September 2012 Phased occupancy of completed building begins
September 2013 Construction completed, all units occupied
- Toronto Public Library celebrated the grand opening of its 99th branch, located in the Railway Lands. The new
Fort York Branch Library was designed and built as part of our Block 36 South condominium project with our private sector development partner Context Development. For an informational guide about the Toronto Public Library, please visit their website.