Download a PDF version of the policy
Summary of Policy
This policy sets out the guidelines for directors of the Board to be reimbursed for reasoned expenses incurred in exercising their responsibilities as a director.
- Application of Policy
- Policy Guidelines
- Policy Review
- Policy Contact
It is expected that in the course of exercising duties, expenses may be incurred by directors of the Board. Pursuant to Section 5.11 of the Shareholder Direction between the City of Toronto and the Toronto Community Housing Corporation (TCHC), TCHC will reimburse directors for reasonable expenses.
TCHC will reimburse directors of the Board for all reasonable expenses incurred in exercising their responsibilities as a director. This policy will ensure that reimbursement is done in an accountable and transparent manner.
Application of Policy
This policy applies to:
- all expenses incurred by a director in performing their duties and responsibilities as a member of the Board and/or on behalf of the Board such as:
- representing TCHC at conferences, gatherings, meetings;
- being asked to undertake certain specified activities for the Board; and
- participation in TCHC Corporate and Community events in their capacity as a director.
General Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement
- A director may be reimbursed for all Board-related activities, including such expenses as:
- meals (related expenditures that are incurred in the course of conducting the business of the Board or where the director is entertaining a guest of the Board);
- parking; and
- any other expenses resulting from activities that are appropriate to fulfilling their role as a director.
Conference Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement
Directors who are authorized to attend conferences on behalf of TCHC shall be reimbursed for related expenses including:
- Travel costs must be based on economy fare rates unless otherwise authorized by the Board. Directors may not use travel agents who charge service fees.
- Directors who use a personal car must claim the current per kilometre rate, as determined from time to time by TCHC.
- Other allowable expenses include taxis, shuttles, local transportation and parking, related to their role at the conference.
- Eligible accommodation will be a single room at government rates, if available.
- Meals not covered with the conference fees will be reimbursed at actual cost or up to $55.00 per day Canadian and $55.00 per day US/International.
Other Business Expenses
- Reasonable incidental and business expenses, including faxes, photocopies, courier charges, telephone calls, and mail services will be reimbursed.
Submission of Expenses for Reimbursement
- All expenses must be reasonable and necessary to the business of the Board and must be within the budgetary parameters established by the Board of Directors.
- All expenses by directors must be properly documented and retained in a format which may be reviewed by the Board, or a delegation thereof, from time to time.
- Acceptable proof of payment must be submitted with any request for reimbursement.
- The acceptability of proof of payment will be determined by the Chief Executive Officer. The completed form must be signed by the claimant and countersigned by the Chief Executive Officer or designate, certifying that the expenses claimed were incurred in performance of the claimant's TCHC duties.
- It is within the responsibility of the claimant to submit all expense claims for reimbursement in a timely manner.
- If TCHC is reimbursing the claimant for only a portion of an expense and the claimant requires the proof of payment to make another claim, the proof of payment will be returned to the claimant with the notation on it of the portion reimbursed by TCHC.
- The Chief Executive Officer will determine acceptable forms of proof of payment.
- Expense claims must be signed by the claimant and countersigned by the Chief Executive Officer or designate certifying that the expenses claimed were incurred in performance of the claimant's TCHC duties.
- TCHC will monitor expense claims to ensure that budgetary parameters established by the Board of Directors are not exceeded.
- TCHC will report to the Chair on all expenses claimed on a yearly basis.
- TCHC will retain all expense claim forms and submitted receipts which may be reviewed by the Board, or a delegation thereof, from time to time.
This policy will be reviewed as required.
Approved by the TCHC Board of Directors, June 30, 2004.
Corporate Planning and Performance Division