Tips for balcony safety
Here are some simple dos and don'ts to make the most of your outdoor space this summer.
- Leave young children or pets alone on a balcony.
- Use your balcony for storage.
- Throw anything off your balcony.
- Put carpet on the balcony. Wet carpets can damage concrete.
- Check with neighbours to make sure they are not bothered by second-hand smoke.
- Always discard cigarette butts in an ashtray. Never throw them off the balcony.
- Check your windows for missing screens or locks, and call to have them replaced if needed.
- Barbeques are NOT allowed on any balconies.
- Do NOT permanently change your balcony without written permission from Toronto Community Housing.
Report concerns to your superintendent if you feel a balcony in your building is being misused. For repairs or other questions, call the Client Care Centre at 416-981-5500.