Board puts performance plan in place for top executive
The Toronto Community Housing Board of Directors has put a plan in place with President and Chief Executive Officer Gene Jones to strengthen his managerial practices and improve executive performance.
The decision follows a board-initiated investigation by external counsel into allegations of improper conduct on the part of Mr. Jones. The board received the report and reviewed the findings that the CEO in these matters failed to exercise proper management oversight and follow board processes and procedures.
The plan includes:
- Hiring an executive coach to work with the CEO to provide a focus for performance improvement.
- Providing senior support and guidance through the implementation of a peer mentoring program.
- Developing a comprehensive performance management plan that links 50 per cent of the CEO’s bonus to organizational excellence related to improvement in managerial style and performance.
- Attending a university executive leadership program.
- Participating in a thorough performance review after six months to monitor progress.
In addition, the Board and Mr. Jones agree that he will not be eligible for a bonus for 2013.
“We hired Gene to be a change agent who would turn around Toronto Community Housing's performance and restore its credibility with residents and the public,” said Bud Purves, Chair of the Board of Directors. “Gene's vision and passion for improving the quality of our housing and being more responsive to the needs of our residents has made a real difference. However, the board agreed that there are areas for improvement in management style and performance, and we look forward to working together with Gene on the plan.”
About Toronto Community Housing
Toronto Community Housing (www.torontohousing.ca) is Canada’s largest social housing provider, and home to 58,500 households with low- and moderate incomes. By providing clean, safe, well-maintained and affordable homes, Toronto Community Housing delivers better homes, better neighbourhoods and a better Toronto for all.
Media Contact: Sara Goldvine, 416-981-4252 or email@example.com