Manager, End User Computer Support Services
Toronto Community HousingToronto Community Housing Corporation (“TCHC”) is Canada’s largest social housing provider. We provide homes to 58,500 households with low and moderate incomes, in some 350 developments across the city. Our residents include seniors, families, singles, refugees, recent immigrants to Canada and people with special needs. Our resident population reflects a broad diversity in terms of age, education, language, sexual orientation, mental and physical disability, religion, ethnicity and race, as well as increasing diversity in lifestyles and values. Our 1,600 employees work to achieve our vision of better homes, better neighbourhoods, and a better Toronto for all.
Manager, End User Computer Support Services
|Salary:||$86,299.97 - $105,243.87|
|Location:||65 Overlea Blvd.|
|Division:||Information and Technology||Hours:||36.25||Positions Available:||1|
Reporting to the VP - ITS, the Manager End User Computer Support Services is responsible for the delivery and management of TCHC's desktop and help desk infrastructure throughout the lifecycle of these computing assets to ensure optimum service to business unit clients. Manages the day to day activities of the Field Support and Help Desk consistent with ITIL best practices. Accountable for the performance and service delivery and service metrics of the Field Support, Help Desk and Telecommunications functions. Accountable for managing incident investigation, resolution and communication with stakeholders and taking corrective actions to prevent recurrence. Responsible for managing all procedures related to collecting, prioritizing and resolving end user requests including ongoing process review and improvements.
- Develops and implements the strategic direction of the unit, including detailed plans and recommended policies regarding program specific requirements which will contribute to the effectiveness and efficiency of IT&S customer services. Develops and maintains the Enterprise Desktop Strategy including the definition of policies, standards and procedures for the desktop environment. Provides technical expertise for the development of desktop architecture, in alignment with the Enterprise Architecture program
- Develops, implements and maintains technical support strategies and structures to support end users in all divisions and resolve desktop operational and functional issues in a timely manner maintaining a consistently high level of customer service, through continuous improvement and innovation Performs as a liaison between end users and desktop and help desk computer support staff. Works with the team to provide input on needed updates to the software and hardware image of TCHC's end user computing systems.
- Manages, motivates and trains the unit's staff, including hiring, monitoring performance and handling labour relations matters ensuring effective teamwork, high standards of work quality and organizational performance, continuous learning and encourages innovation in others
- Supervises the day to day operation of all assigned staff including the scheduling, assigning and reviewing of work, prioritizing workload and queue management. Manages staff schedules to ensure services are available in accordance with service or operating level agreements. Authorizes and controls vacation and overtime requests. Approves salary increments and recommends disciplinary action when necessary
- Develops and reports against service level objectives. Manages the delivery of services within the parameters of such agreements. Manages service level agreements with External vendors. Prepares Statements of work for vendors providing telecommunications, help desk, field support and related services.
- Provides regular reporting to management including support trends and historical perspective of the data with recommendations for changes to services with cost and benefit analyses.
- Develops, recommends and administers the annual budget for the unit including the Capital Sustainment budget, and ensures that the unit's expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Manages the Corporate spend for Telecommunications services (Cell phone and Land Lines) and makes effective recommendations regarding Corporate Spend.
- Reviews information and technology capital budget submissions for business units.
- Makes effective recommendations regarding the RFP, VOR and other contractual decisions regarding the services provided. Prepares briefing notes, and recommendations on related technology and administrative issues,
- Prepares Request for Proposals (RFP's) and Request for Quotations (RFQ's) for the procurement of local hardware, software, application and professional services for the Unit and other business units as required.
- Evaluates responses and negotiates vendor contracts in conjunction with contract administration staff, Purchasing and/or Legal.
- Prepares and issues RFP or RFQ for contract renewals
- Drives the creation of "Knowledge base" articles and the maintenance of procedure manuals based on commonly encountered problems and their solutions and drives the Help desk capability to address future incidents through these knowledge objects.
- Effectively manages the help desk to perform higher levels of First Call Resolution (FCR),
- Prepares project plans and rollout plans for upgrades to services provided.
- Develops, documents, implements and maintains processes and effective service standards based on client requirements and SLAs, to deliver effective information technology client side services Identifies key support metrics and regularly reviews data with team and IT leadership to determine process updates and improvements. Identifies internal and external support trends and takes steps to proactively prevent and or solve problems.
- Ensures that information concerning IMACs (Installs, Moves, Adds, Changes) is regularly maintained as part of I&T asset management program to provide an accurate, up to date inventory of I&T assets handled by the unit Performs Technology asset management with a focus on acquisition (refresh program), stock management asset cascade, disposal, software licensing administration, warranty management, and financial management
- Coordinates large-scale installations and upgrades with corporate and business unit staff, within project scope and budget
- Approves user support content and documentation, intranet material, in conjunction with other I&T service delivery and support unit.
- Contract and vendor management and coordination for the desktop hardware, software and maintenance services contract
- Configuration management activities to support the configuration management system and database. Approves and ensures inventory management procedures compliance for desktop, field services and local telecommunications devices.
- Works closely with the Manager- Infrastructure and Network and the Manager IT Security and compliance to ensure the implementation of desktop hardware and software security management across the City and implementation of security policies and standards on individual local hardware including: administration of local administrator password/elevated rights; operating system configuration; virus prevention and containment; and security incident response
- Manages the development, activities and implementation of desktop related strategies such as the Enterprise Print Strategy in alignment with Enterprise Architecture and strategic planning directions
- Participates in Change Management activities as a member of the Change Advisory Board ensuring sufficient time to plan, prepare and implement new support requirements resulting from upcoming changes
- Promotes the use of a productivity tool set and encourages a process of ongoing productivity enhancement by providing value-added services that facilitate the performance of daily tasks
- Analyzes operational support processes, escalation processes and training needs to identify opportunities for service delivery improvements and increased efficiency
- Researches emerging technologies and applications to identify the value and cost of new opportunities and develop strategies for service improvements and cost avoidance
- Provides technical expertise, business analysis and advice on enterprise desktop management to business units and other I&T units
- Leads product planning, research and development and evaluation, including management of a test lab/environment, in alignment with enterprise quality assurance standards and practices
- Oversees the provision of project management for enterprise-scope desktop related projects, and support for divisional level initiatives, in alignment with the project management framework. Participates in the development of the overall I&T support service delivery strategy and implementation of key I&T strategic initiatives such as best-practice and process improvement exercises (i.e. ITIL)
- Extensive (up to 7 years) experience in Information Technology management, including the management of design, deployment and support of technology infrastructure, help desk services and field support.
- Extensive experience at both the operating and architectural levels, with technologies that impact a large corporate environment, such as desktops, laptops and other mobile computing, printing and other peripheral devices, as well as operating systems, off-the-shelf business and custom developed software, software management and security tools.
- Extensive experience with technology infrastructure best practices, notably ITIL/ITSM (Information Technology Infrastructure Library/Information Technology Service Management) and Asset Management. ITIL certification is an asset. Experience and extensive knowledge of ITIL best practices and experience in service desk operations and best practices.
- Excellent communication skills oral and written
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and human resource management skills
- Ability to analyze operational metrics and to prepare summary reports and recommendation/. Excellent experience in all Microsoft products.
- Extensive experience dealing with vendors for the delivery of technology products and services.
- Experience within the public sector, including managing in a unionized environment, public sector budgeting, procurement and contract management.
- Project management experience, notably related to infrastructure deployment to field locations and help desk services
- Experience managing a client-service function.
- Experience with software tools that automate the management of a desktop systems environment is highly desirable.
- Post-secondary education in computer science or a related discipline pertinent to the job function with extensive experience working in a large complex organization, or the approved equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience.
- Knowledge of emerging architectures and technologies such as: mobile devices, data communications networks, voice and wireless technologies, collaboration tools, browsers, servers, directory services
- Highly developed leadership, interpersonal, conflict resolution, negotiation, facilitation, problem solving, and communication skills, with the ability to interact and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach, train, develop, and motivate different types of teams including contracted resources in a matrix environment and managing a large team of IT staff.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team and with others in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Knowledge of employment and related legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code, Labour Relations Act), collective agreements and human resources practices.
Please note: applications sent by email must only be sent to email@example.com. All emails for consideration must include the job title and job number in the subject line.
Toronto Community Housing is committed to equity in employment. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from women and men, people from racialized communities, sexual minorities, persons with disabilities and aboriginal persons.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications must be received by July 23, 2014 at:
Human Resources Division
Toronto Community Housing Corporation
931 Yonge Street 4th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4W 2H2
Fax: (416) 981-4260
Posting Date: July 9, 2014