Community Safety Advisor
Toronto Community HousingToronto Community Housing Corporation (“TCHC”) is Canada’s largest social housing provider. We provide homes to 58,500 households with low and moderate incomes, in some 350 developments across the city. Our residents include seniors, families, singles, refugees, recent immigrants to Canada and people with special needs. Our resident population reflects a broad diversity in terms of age, education, language, sexual orientation, mental and physical disability, religion, ethnicity and race, as well as increasing diversity in lifestyles and values. Our 1,600 employees work to achieve our vision of better homes, better neighbourhoods, and a better Toronto for all.
Community Safety Advisor
|Salary:||$66,489.36 – $81,099.69|
|Location:||931 Yonge St.|
|Class:||Management Grade 6|
|Unit:||Community Safety||Hours:||36.25 hours per week||Positions Available:||1|
The Toronto Community Housing Corporation is the second largest publicly owned social housing provider in North America. Our commitment is to build on the strength of our organization - our residents and staff - to create good places to live and to work. The portfolio includes more than 57,500 units of housing in over 2,800 buildings and houses across the city of Toronto. The Community Safety Unit (CSU) is the provider of the most innovative and value added social housing safety promotion and security services in Canada. The CSU provides a full range of safety services to Community Housing Units and their communities and supports a community development approach to safety rather than acting as guardian of communities.
The Community Safety Unit is seeking Community Safety Advisors to assist with community safety planning and co-ordinate appropriate safety services. You will serve as customer relations representatives to Operating Unit Managers and residents for all security services provided by CSU. Acting as a middle person for CSU, you will ensure that timely and effective services are delivered by CSU, security operations or planning and security analysis services. You will provide input and on-going support into the development of TCHC's Community Safety Unit policies and programs and make recommendations concerning enhancements to safety programs. You will establish and maintain effective working relationships with TCHC staff, residents and parallel safety organizations and focus on promoting safe and healthy communities in TCHC.
1. Service Facilitation
- Assists the Operating Unit Managers, community staff and residents to identify site specific safety concerns for communities (Special Attentions)
- Provides Community Safety Consulting Service to the Operating Unit Manager to ensure that community safety expectations and goals are met.
- Daily review of community based statistical data (CSU reports) and makes recommendations to mitigate issues, complaints and concerns
- Identify and respond to emerging problems and changing operational and staff deployment requirements in communities
- Assists Operating Unit Managers to conduct CPTED safety audits and develop a community safety and security plans for each community
- Ensures adherence to performance standards and quality control
- Participates in the analysis of safety issues within communities and prepares reports, analyses and memoranda as required.
- Assists CSU Management with external security/safety services and ensures external staff are in adherence to all performance standards and requirements of the position.
- Assists the Operating Unit Managers, Community staff and residents in coordinating monthly safety meeting inclusive of CSU staff within each community
- Coordinate CSU key/fob access for all assigned communities
- Assists CSU Supervisors in the coordination of CCTV programs/procedures, completes CCTV audits, and identifies improvements and/or recommendations as required.
- Assists in the facilitation of development and implementation of community programs impacting community safety such as resident participatory budgeting and summer safety budget initiatives
- Develops and facilitate process for the determination of safety objectives at the specific site
- Provides expertise in the development of crime prevention strategies in communities
- Provides weekly overview to CSU Management of all community engagement with specific activities and actions completed relative to community
- Establishes work relationship with community groups to promote safety programs and develop effective partnership with community stakeholders, residents and staff
- Provides community trauma support after critical incidents.
- Takes lead on emergency preparedness from a community prescriptive.
- Facilitates training and briefings for CSU staff in relation to Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) provides reports and incident tracking data as required.
- Assists Operating Unit Managers with the identification and follow up of mental health or vulnerability issues within communities, engages TCHC Mental Health Liaison staff as required
- Liaisons regularly with CSU staff on special operational research projects
- College Diploma or trade certification after apprenticeship
- Minimum 5 years - extensive job related experience
- Proven knowledge of range of conceptual safety approaches, security planning and management to develop security solutions, strategies, and plans in response to area community grouping s and site-specific security needs
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and building and safety codes including the Criminal Code, Fire Safety Code, Residential Tenancy Act and other pertinent Acts, Statues and By-laws at the municipal, provincial and federal levels
- Knowledge of the issues in supportive community housing that affects the safety/security and well being of resident communities to provide comprehensive analysis and solutions to meet community safety needs
- Knowledge of the TCHC philosophy governing community safety as a integral component of community health, as well as TCHC policies to ensure compliance and consistency in the delivery and assessment of community safety activities
- Thorough knowledge of social development principles and theories
- A comprehensive understanding of underlying root causes and their relationship to criminal behaviour
- Thorough knowledge of conceptual crime prevention and safety promotion strategies
- Ability to interact and work with youth
- In-depth understanding of TCHC corporate goals and objectives
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience in anti-oppression programs, sensitive to culture, race and class issues in the social housing context
- Expertise in targets hardening techniques and security technology
- Co-ordination skills to provide a technical interface with corporate directions at the community level and to co-ordinate special assignments/projects within the Districts
- Analytical skills to identify specific community safety needs and respond with appropriate recommendations
- Organizational and decision-making skills to prioritize work and meet objectives in an atmosphere of conflicting demands
- Group process facilitation skills, highly skilled presentation and communications ability
- Strong oral communication, consultation, and presentation skills to establish credible working partnerships with a diverse range of internal groups, external agencies and security organizations and to make presentations
- Written communication skills to prepare management reports and briefing materials, as required
- Specialized knowledge in community development, law enforcement, group work and adult education
Please note: applications sent by email must only be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails for consideration must include the job title and job number in the subject line.
Toronto Community Housing is committed to equity in employment. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage applications from women and men, people from racialized communities, sexual minorities, persons with disabilities and aboriginal persons.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications must be received by July 16, 2014 at:
Human Resources Division
Toronto Community Housing Corporation
931 Yonge Street 4th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4W 2H2
Fax: (416) 981-4260
Posting Date: July 2, 2014
How to apply
Interested candidates must apply using one of the following methods before the posting close date:
- Email your application. This method of application is highly preferred. Applications sent by email, MUST ONLY be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, and MUST INCLUDE the job title and job competition file # in the subject line.
Mail or fax your application. Mailed or faxed resumes and cover letters must be received by the closing date and should be sent to:
Human Resources Division
Toronto Community Housing
931 Yonge St. 4th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4W 2H2
You must quote the job competition file # on your resume or cover letter if sending your application through fax.
- Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications/resumes that their qualifications match those specified in the job posting. Only information submitted prior to the posting close date will be acceptable.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their application is submitted based on the instructions provided above in the "How To Apply" section of this posting.
- We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Toronto Community Housing is committed to equity in employment. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, reasonable accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Persons with disabilities who need the job posting in an alternative format, may email a request to email@example.com.